"10 Ways Technology Has Made Education Better and More Inclusive" (online article) lists ten aspects of technology that can
1. Online Classes
- With mycourseline/D2L, both on-campus and online courses can benefit from the full range of "online learning" options.
- Contact the Teaching Commons to see how your classes can benefit from online
2. Open Educational Resources:
- "The Internet is full of freely accessible text, media, and other digital assets that can be used by the students as well as the teachers.
- See "Open Educational Resources (OERs): List of Repositories" to explore available content and/or contact the Teaching Commons for more information.
3. Online Study Help
- "Many [i]nstitutions are providing personalized study help to the students.
- "These include providing appropriate study materials, assignment, and project help to the students so that they can improve their academic performances."
- Check out "Ask - Chat with a Librarian."
4. Webinars and Video Streaming
- Video streaming can "deliver ... ideas and knowledge to the students."
- "[W]ebinars: seminars over the web ... are much more interactive than the traditional seminars as students can discuss and ask questions at the same time."
- Check out YouSeeU and "virtual classroom" (under "Other Tools" in your mycourselink/D2L site).
- "Podcasts are digital audio files that can be downloaded by the user."
- "This gives students a flexibility to learn and revise the study material anytime, anywhere."
6. Laptops, Tablets, and Smart Phones
- "[N]ew software and technology ... enhance[s] the teaching and learning experiences," bringing e-notes, portable presentations, apps, in-class polling, group games, etc. to the classroom.
7. Presentation Software
- Enrich your lectures with "high-resolution pictures, diagrams, video clips, and text which keeps the student engaged throughout the classes."
8. Online Course Management Tools
- Use mycourselink/D2L to "organiz[e] ... resources and class contents ...post class materials and course syllabus ... record grades, share announcements, and discuss various topics with the class students."
- "Students can also post assignments and access the materials provided by the teachers."
9. Lecture Capturing Tools
- "[R]ecord [your] lectures and make them available digitally to the students through the web."
- Check out Camtasia.
10. Online Collaboration Tools
- These tools "allow the students and teachers to share information, discuss and brainstorm ideas over the same platform."
- "Students can work together on projects and solve different problems."
- "These tools can also be used for time management, workflow routing, milestones, and calendaring by the teachers as well as students."