"Syllabus Evaluation Rubric" (pdf) defines 13 characteristics of effective syllabi, such as tone and diversity of teaching approaches (from Cornell University's Center for Teaching Excellence).
- Each characteristic is assessed by specific criteria that determine whether a considered syllabus reflects "Beginning," "Emerging," or "Exemplary" pedagogical skill.
Assessed Syllabus Characteristics
- Course description
- Overall tone
- Course outcomes
- Course format
- Instructor's beliefs & assumptions
- Class schedule
- Assignments required
- Academic policies & procedures
- Assessment of students' learning
- Diversity of teaching & assessment methods
- Continuity of feedback to students on their learning
- Opportunities for students to provide evaluative course input