Graduate Students

How to Enrol in the Certificate in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education

To enroll in the Certificate in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education 2018-2019, you must first self-register for that course.

To do so, follow the steps below (after September 15):

1. On your main mycourselink/D2L page, locate the column entitled "Help" (top right).

2. In that column, scroll down to "Self-Registration," and click on that term.

3. In the page that opens, you will see a list (one or more) of non-academic courses for which you are eligible.

  • Click on "Teaching and Learning in Higher Education 2018-2019" to select it.

4. In the window that opens, click on "Register" (bottom right).

5. Enter the requested "Registration Information" in the window that opens.

  • When you are done, click "Submit." 

6. In the "Confirmation" window, click "Finish."

Preparing for Alt-Ac Careers

Decorative: A keyboard key with "Alt-Ac" written on it


"Why It Is Not a 'Failure' to Leave Accademia" (article) explains that "a PhD programme [is] a traineeship in scientific thinking and an invaluable qualification for a diverse range of careers" and offers some suggestions to help graduate students "determine the best career to match [their] personality, skills, priorities, ambitions and interests" -- especially if that path lies outside academia.

Each of the following suggestions is elaborated more fully in the article.

1. "What PhD Students Can Do"