A. "Alternatives to Student Evaluations of Teaching" (post) examines "other evaluation instruments not only available but indeed already in use for several years at UBC."
- "It is past time to stop relying on an instrument that is known to be grossly inadequate for the role it plays."
- There are "comprehensive assessments of teaching effectiveness that do not conflate such effectiveness with student satisfaction and do not discriminate on prohibited grounds."
1. "UBC’s Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology has a comprehensive section on their website on the summative peer review of teaching."
- "Peer review of teaching has been implemented in several faculties at UBC including the Faculty of Arts (Peer Review of Teaching Guide, pdf)."
- "[A] great deal more thought regarding what teaching effectiveness is and expertise in the evaluation of it can be found in these processes than in SEoTs."
- At Lakehd, this service is available through the Teaching Commons.
2. "Still other forms of evaluation of teaching effectiveness are being developed."
- "[F]or example, [UBC's] Teaching Practices Inventory ... evaluates the design and delivery of science courses against features that the peer-reviewed literature has found makes such courses effective" (see "CWSEI Teaching Practices Inventory For Use in Natural and Social Sciences" pdf).
- Or, the "University of Oregon['] ... 'Revising UO’s Teaching Evaluations' [that] place[s] stress on ... instructor self-reflection (pdf)."
- "USC’s Centre for Excellence in Teaching website ... [provides] tools and templates supporting the proper use of peer evaluation and the development of teaching statements."
- CET Classroom Teaching Observation Checklist (pdf)
- CET Course Design Syllabus Review Checklist (pdf)
- CET Synchronous Online Teaching Observation Checklist (pdf)
- CET Synchronous Online Course Design Syllabus Review Checklist (pdf)
- CET Asynchronous Online Teaching Observation Checklist (pdf)
- CET Asynchronous Online Course Design Syllabus Review Checklist (pdf)
- USC's "Formative Peer Evaluation Process" Flowchart (pdf)
- USC's "Summative Peer Evaluation Processes" Flowchart (pdf)
3. "[O]ther resources can be found in the Statement on Teaching Evaluations written by the American Sociological Association and endorsed by about twenty other learned societies."
B. Other Useful Self-Assessment Tools/Resources