"Holistic Critical Thinking Scoring Rubric" (pdf) presents a rubric and "Instructions for Using the Holistic Critical Thing Scoring Rubric."
A. The instructions elaborate on three principles:
- "Understand the Construct."
- "Differentiate and Focus."
- "Practice, Coordinate, and Reconcile."
B. The rubric offers straightforward, four-point scale from 4 to 1:
"4 - Consistently does all or almost all of the following":
- "Accurately interprets evidence, statements, graphics, questions, etc."
- "Identifies the salient arguments (reasons and claims) pro and con."
- "Thoughtfully analyzes and evaluates major alternative points of view."
- "Draws warranted, judicious, non-fallacious conclusions."
- "Justifies key results and procedures, explains assumptions and reasons."
- "Fair-mindedly follows where evidence and reasons lead."
"1 - Consistently does all or almost all of the following":
- "Offers biased interpretations of evidence, statements, graphics, questions, information, or the points of view of others."
- "Fails to identify or hastily dismisses strong, relevant counter-arguments."
- "Ignores or superficially evaluates obvious alternative points of view."
- "Argues using fallacious or irrelevant reasons, and unwarranted claims."
- "Does not justify results or procedures, nor explain reasons."
- "Regardless of the evidence or reasons, maintains or defends views based on self-interest or preconceptions."
- "Exhibits close-mindedness or hostility to reason."