A. "Digital Storytelling: Another Tool to Add to your Pedagogy Toolbox" (online article) presents "storytelling in the classroom ... [as] a successful pedagogical approach."
- "Different technological tools and programs, such as podcasts, infographics, and other types of presentations, make it easy for instructors to create digital stories."
As a quick introduction to this teaching tool, the article covers the following:
- How to use digital storytelling as a teaching strategy
- What to include
- An eight-step digital storytelling process diagram
B. "How Digital Storytelling Changed the Way I Think About Digital Pedagogy" (online article) explains how to get "students engaged in making digital stories; a process of active learning strategies in writing, storyboarding, capturing audio, photos and video and then editing" -- and provides a 6-step process to achieve the following outcomes:
- "Faculty require students to base their narratives on course content and with evidence of research – much like the requirements of a term paper."
- "But, they also want students to write stories with elements found in a narrative arc; introduction of scene/characters, conflict, challenge, climax, and resolution."
- "Finally, they want students to exercise the skill of writing with brevity and economy -- to be concise and eliminate unnecessary details."
- "The narratives they ask students to draft for their digital stories are usually a page and a half of double-spaced writing which translates to three minutes of recorded audio."
C. "Educational Uses of Digital Storytelling" (website) is "a useful resource for educators and students who are interested in how digital storytelling can be integrated into a variety of educational activities."
- The stated "long-term goal is to make the Educational Uses of Digital Storytelling website a comprehensive clearinghouse of information for both those just starting to use digital storytelling as well as for educators, graduate students and researchers who want to deeply explore the many facets of this educational technology tool."
The website includes the following useful resources:
1. About Digital Storytelling
- "Web 2.0 Resources" -- blogs, podcasts, wikis, other
4. How To
5. Educational Materials