Recognizing and Addressing Cultural Variation in the Classroom (pdf) helps instructors
- Understand the types of challenges international students face
- Explore issues that may affect students in your courses
- Consider strategies successfully employed by faculty at Carnegie Mellon University
The 32-page pdf is divided into three sections and covers the following topics:
1. Background Issues
- Decisions about education
- Financing a college education
- Transition from high school
- Breadth of study
2. Cultural Variations
- Classroom culture
- Class discussions
- Reading and library research
- Academic integrity
- Seeking help
3. Suggestions for Instructors
- General advice
- Make your expectations explicit.
- Model the skills you want students to develop.
- Represent the material in multiple ways.
- Give students ample opportunities to practice skills and improve performance.
- Provide varied opportunities for interaction.