Graduate Students

How to Enrol in the Certificate in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education

To enroll in the Certificate in Teaching & Learning in Higher Education 2018-2019, you must first self-register for that course.

To do so, follow the steps below (after September 17 for the Fall session; after May 1 for the Spring Session):

1. On your main mycourselink/D2L page, locate the column entitled "Help" (top right).

2. In that column, scroll down to "Self-Registration," and click on that term.

3. In the page that opens, you will see a list (one or more) of non-academic courses for which you are eligible.

  • Click on "Teaching and Learning in Higher Education 2018-2019" to select it.

4. In the window that opens, click on "Register" (bottom right).

5. Enter the requested "Registration Information" in the window that opens.

Dissertation Writing Groups

Decorative: "Writing group," with enlarged commas for the "g"s


"On the Value of Dissertation Writing Groups" (post) outlines one professor's practice of "bring[ing] students together into a dissertation group and encourag[ing] them to meet regularly and work with one another."

  • "Writing is collaborative, and scholarly writing especially so."
  • Librarians, archivists, and others -- "the people who have been reading drafts all along, making suggestions, editing, shaping" -- play an active role in successful academic writing.

1. The Problem(s)

Overcome Imposter Syndrome

Decorative: "What is Impostor Syndrome and how can you manage it?" written above a Groucho Mark-style mask (pair of glasses, with nose, busy eyebrows, and bushy moustache


"How to Overcome Impostor Syndrome" (post) explains that "'impostor syndrome' runs thick in the veins of academics, from newly arrived graduate students to those nearing retirement (yes, really)" and outlines several specific, positive responses to counter its often "deeply painful and damaging, almost paralyzing" effects.

"So what is impostor syndrome and how do you get over it?"

A. What Is Impostor Syndrome?

Printer Friendly, PDF & Email