"Delaying the Grade: How to Get Students to Read Feedback" (post) outlines a plan to "get ... students to actually read their feedback and care less about the grade."
"The Fix for Ignored Feedback": "The Plan"
1. Grade the Papers:
- "Grade ... as you usually would with comments on the written piece, but keep the rubric separate."
2. "Plan Independent Work"
- "[C]reat[e] opportunities for students to do independent or group work for a few days when it’s time to return papers to students ... [to] give you time to conference with individual students."
3. "Return Papers"
a. "[R]eturn just the written work to students, not the completed rubric."
b. Include the following instructions on the student copy of the rubic:
- "Read over your whole essay, including what you wrote and my comments."
- "Write THREE observations based on your reading and TWO follow-up questions to discuss with me at our conference. Ask about comments, how to improve things, how to do things differently, etc."
- "Use the rubric (posted online) to grade yourself."
- "Be ready to discuss all of this."
4. Give "Time to Reflect"
- "Return the essays during class, allowing time to explain, time for [students] to read their essays, and time for them to clarify if needed."
- "Encourage them to go slowly."
5. "Conference with Each Student"
- "[S]tart with, 'What do you want to talk about?' and let them guide the conference."
- Allow them to "make comments ... [and] ask questions."
- "[E]nd by asking students how they graded themselves according to the rubric."
6. Allow "Revision"
"[Offer students the opportunity to rewrite their essay ... to ... become better writers ... Depending on the assignment, these are the usual requirements":
- "The student must meet with me 1 to 3 times (depends on the student and the essay) before it is due."
- "These meetings are quick 'check-in' style meetings: What are you planning to do? What have you done? What questions do you have?'"
- "The student must make substantial revisions, not just grammatical edits."
- "The student must turn in the original and the updated draft on time."