"Faculty Writing Groups as Communities of Practice" (online article) outlines the experience and suggestions of "a productive and successful writing group" that has grown "over the last seven years."
Including a variety of practical advice, the article defines the writing group as "a community of practice" that
- "shares several concerns and passions, some of which have evolved over time"
- "engage[s] in many writing activities ranging from writing exercises to foster creative thinking to collaborative publication"
- "is premised on relational work, support and encouragement as we experience the tensions and challenges of academic life"
"Tangible results from [the] writing group have included":
- "five collaborative peer-review articles and book chapters"
- "successful grant applications, research projects"
- "published papers by individual members in their respective areas"