"Office Hours and Email" (web page) explains how "[o]ffice hours are important opportunities for good teaching" and provides practical elaboration for each of the following strategies:
1. Getting Students to See You
- "[F]inding the right place"
- "[S]etting the right times"
- "[G]iving a lot of encouragement"
2. Making Office Hours Productive
- "Advise students on how to prepare for meetings with you."
- "Make your sessions with students a chance to continue teaching them, by helping them work through their own confusions or problems."
3. Using Email Effectively
- "Inform your students about your use of email."
- "Recognize the value of one-to-many emails."
- "Use email messages to establish course/teaching FAQ."
- "Consider establishing email office hours."
- "Assign pre- or post-class email messages."
- "Shift some email exchanges to face-to-face discussions."
4. Other Resources