1. "Using Rubrics to Assess Journal Entries" (pdf) explains that "The instructor in charge of the service-learning course must rely on the student's journal entries and other types of feedback to ascertain the quality
and value of the service experience."
- "Reflections the university student gives to the instructor needs to be insightful and succinct, while the feedback the university instructor gives to the student must be clear and consistent."
- "Rubrics provide a useful means to assess quickly a student's writing and to reiterate consistently the criteria expected of him or her."
- The pdf also includes a broadly applicable rubric sample that can be adapted to most purposes.
2. Other Rubrics for Journals and Journaling (mix and match as suits your needs & purposes!)
- "Reflection Journal Rubric" (online)
- "Grading Rubrics [for Journals]" (online)
- "Journal Writing Rubric" (pdf)