"Service-Learning" (web page and links) introduces "an experiential teaching method that combines community service with academic instruction as it focuses on critical, reflective thinking and civic responsibility."
- "Service-learning programs involve students in organized community service that addresses local needs, while developing their academic skills, sense of civic responsibility and commitment to the community."
- "Essential elements of effective service-learning practice include well-defined learning goals, meaningful service activities, and critical reflection activities which support both service and learning goals."
- "Defining Effective Learning and Service Experiences"
- "Principles of Good Practice in Service-Learning"
- "Choosing a Community Partner"
- "Types of Service Projects" (Course-based service activities, categories of service activity)
- "Types of Reflection Activities"
- "Formats of Journal Reflection"
- "Challenges of Service-Learning" (For the instructor, for the student)
- "Examples of Service-Learning"
- Online resources
- Tools and templates
- Journals and books
5. Other Resources
- "Service Learning: Connect Classroom Learning with Societal Issues"
- "The 8 Block Model for Designing & Implementing a Service Learning Project"
- "Designing a Service-Learning Course" (18 questions to get you started)
- "Tips for Finding Service Learning Partners"
- "Motivating Students, Departments, and the Community about Service Learning Projects"
- "Assessment of Service Learning Projects"
- "Service Learning in the Geosciences"