A. “The Learning Power of WebQuests” (online article) introduces WebQuests and “emphasiz[es] the importance of combining authentic tasks with Internet resources to develop critical thinking skills.”
1. It briefly covers the following topics:
- "What WebQuests Are Not"
- "What Is a Real WebQuest?"
- "A Scaffolded Learning Structure"
- "Use of Essential Internet Resources"
- "Authentic Tasks that Motivate"
- "Open-Ended Questions"
- "Individual Expertise"
- "Transforming Group Process"
- "What the Best WebQuests Do"
- "Learner-Centered Professional Development"
- "Sample WebQuests"
2. See also
- "WebQuests: Concept to Classroom" (web page and links)
- WebQuest goals & objectives
- Lesson outline and procedure
B. WebQuest.org (web site)
“[T]he most complete and current source of information about the WebQuest Model.”
1. This site provides the instructor with information on the following:
- Finding WebQuests
- Creating WebQuests
- Sharing WebQuests
- Concepts and definitions
- WebQuest development (advice, tips, techniques, strategies, patterns, templates, checklists, rubrics, etc.)
2. It also includes links to the following:
C. Practical WebQuest Tools
1. General Resources
- “The WebQuest Design Process” (flowchart and links)
- "Adapting and Enhancing Existing WebQuests” (web page, flow chart)
- “A Rubric for Evaluating WebQuests” (web page)
- "WebQuests: Tasks and Templates" (25 tasks/templates/patterns presented in chart format)
2. Useful Videos
3. WebQuest "Process Checklist"
- A chart to "look at the Process section and focus on the small details that can make or break a project."
- It can be used "to look at your own project or ... ask someone else to provide you with a peer review."
4. “WebQuest Taskonomy: A Taxonomy of Tasks” (web page) provides definitions, tips, and examples for the following 12 WebQuest tasks:
- Retelling tasks
- Compilation tasks
- Mystery tasks
- Journalistic tasks
- Design tasks
- Creative-product tasks
- Consensus-building tasks
- Persuasion tasks
- Self-knowledge tasks
- Analytical tasks
- Judgement tasks
- Scientific tasks